Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Something Magical - previously completed item #89 - go to a drive-in

Something Magical by Jeff__
Something Magical, a photo by Jeff__ on Flickr.
Via Flickr:
Some other starlight photos.

I was always intrigued by the idealistic lure of the drive-in. I don't remember any being around when I was growing up but I am fortunate to have one located near where I live; in fact it is the closet movie theater to us. :)

Atlanta's Starlight Drive-In opened in 1949 and is one of the few operating drive-ins in the the state, let alone country. This theater has 6 screens playing in the summer and 4 screens open in the winter. I will say that while I enjoy attending a movie here at least once a year it may not be for everyone.

Like an indoor theater there can be crowd noise but this time it's from cars driving by trying to find a place to park. Kids also tend to be a bit louder in the outdoors and it can be a late night in the summer if you have children as it doesn't get dark enough in Atlanta until 9:30p in the summer. I don't think it's be optimum venue to soak in a quiet drama...

That said, we enjoy the tailgating atmosphere. One of the things I'd like to do is cook out - grills are allowed - prior to a show. The sense of sharing a communal outside experience is wonderful. Just be careful with your car battery! The sound system is hooked up through a FM frequency and after one long movie our car wouldn't start; as it turns out the theater has a dedicated staff member who visits each theater lot with a battery jumper, so this is a common thing. Still, we might take a boom box with us next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment