Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Howard Finster's Paradise Garden

A hot, humid day in north Georgia visiting Howard Finster’s Paradise Garden.




Howard Finster’s was still alive and would let visitors wander around the expansive yard of his former house at no charge; he would sell his art pieces to those interested. While his mix of folk art and religion did not appeal to everyone, he acquired a following over the years (thanks in part to R.E.M. and Talking Heads using his art for their album covers). Still, Finster’s garden still wasn’t what you would find on Georgia tourist brochures. But I was intrigued by this outsider art.

rock pop gallery about Howard Finster




I was given handwritten directions to his place. I stopped at a downtown Summerville store to double check directions. There were no signs to his place. But it was unmistakable when I arrived. The entrance was a modest house and front porch. Inside Finster’s “garden” was a sprawling yard (likely several backyards) where Howard Finster worked on and displayed his art with spiritual quotes, religious advice and ordinary objects. Some I talked with loved their visit; others thought it was an overground Juno yard. In addition to documenting the grounds, I also took a few self-portraits.

American Art - Smithsonian

Howard Finster held court in the house as I left, evangelizing to the visitors. Some stayed and listened to his words. I didn’t stay as I was drenched in Georgia humidity and had a 2 hour drive home, but I purchased one of his art pieces (which I still have) on my exit. I visited Paradise Garden a couple more times, but things do change.



Here's a link to the other photos from the 1992 visit

Sadly, the innocence of Howard Finster’s garden wouldn’t last as pieces were sold off to museums and collectors. The garden entrance changed and charged admission to tour the place. Perhaps something growing organically might spiral itself into mismanagement. I don’t know. If those moves kept his art and livelihood going that’s fine but it’s an example of something organic which grew by word of mouth, only later to become more regulated.

email me

Taken with Kodak Ektachrome in 1992.
Submitted to Roll Film Week July 2020.

flickr set 

No comments:

Post a Comment