Friday, April 27, 2012

15 Minutes before Mass Starts

15 Minutes before Mass Starts by Jeff__
15 Minutes before Mass Starts, a photo by Jeff__ on Flickr.
My wife & daughter were on a mother/daughter Girl Scout camporee, I was a bachelor for most of the weekend. And what was my highlight?

Attending a church I never visited, but always wanted to; Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church. It is located in the Martin Luther King, Jr Historic District and around the corner from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's childhood home in the Old Fourth Ward, Atlanta, Georgia.

I am a Catholic (liberal Catholic of faith) who enjoys visiting new churches. I live nearby so why not visit? I felt like I was in the gospel tent at Jazz Fest; which is a good thing. The mass & music energized my spirit. It was the most unique Catholic service I have attended. And since this was a Sat/5p mass I got to sleep in Sunday morning; Catholics love those Saturday options. :)

Founded in November 1912. Our Lady of Lourdes was the first African American Catholic church in Atlanta. Saint Katharine Drexel was among those who provided funds and sent the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament to staff the school.


Martin Luther King, Jr Historic District
Fulton County, GA
Listed: 05/02/1974
Designated an NHL: 05/05/1977

The area is composed of the following structures, many of which retain most of their original appearances. Together they comprise an identifiable and definable historic district: Ebenezer Baptist Church, Grave Site, Birthplace and Boyhood Home, Shot-gun Houses, Victorian Houses, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Colored Mission, and Fire Station No. 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment